Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2016

Running in the Rain: What to Wear

The end of Daylight Savings Time is my least favorite time of year. That extra hour of sleep really only feels like extra snooze time for about two days before my body has accepted the new time as the norm, after which I'm stuck with the depressing reality that the sun sets as I pick my kids up from school for the day. Some people like that extra hour of sunlight in the morning, but I much prefer having an extra hour in the evening.

With that time change, the rain inevitably seems to pick up as well. I live in the Greater Seattle area, so I am no stranger to running in weather that begs one to go home, change into cozy pajamas, and curl up under a thick blanket near the fireplace with a good novel and a cup of steaming tea. Running in rainy, windy, chilly weather is far from what I consider ideal, however, I have to keep running. Consistent exercise - especially that which is done outside - is a vital component of maintaining my mental health. The rain and gloomy skies do not bother me too much, but the lack of daylight depresses me quicker than voting in this year's election.

One of the most common questions I hear is, "Do you actually run in this weather." Yes, yes I do. Following that, almost always: "What do you wear in this kind of weather?"

Both are great questions, and since the first answer is a simple "yes," I am going to focus on answering the second.

Disclaimer: I LOVE bright, artistic-looking, stop-cars-in-their-tracks sort of running gear, and my favorite tech clothing comes from INKnBURN. No, I'm not getting paid to advertise or review anything, so everything I'm posting is something I actually wear by choice. Additionally, I generally dress a tad warmer than what running guides often recommend. By common recommendation, one is to wear shorts and a short-sleeved shirt in 50°F+. I freeze my buns off in anything under about 58°F if I'm not a little more covered up, especially when it's breezy with a chance of rain. I chalk this up to being raised in the desert. Or maybe I'm just a wuss. Whatever.

Yesterday morning was my favorite running weather: cool, cloudy, damp from rain the night before, and a little sunshine peeking its way through the gray. It was about 50°F with a slight breeze, and I went for a miserable-feeling 6+ mile run with one of my favorite running buddies (aka husband). Why miserable? My girls both have a cold and somehow manage to constantly cough in my face, slobber on my food, and slime me with their germs as tokens of their love, so I woke up with a headache, watery eyes, and some sinus pressure. Not surprisingly, I felt extra cold, so I wore full-length running tights, a lightweight Smartwool running top, layered a short-sleeved tech shirt over the top, and added running gloves to keep my icicle fingers from turning blue. It wasn't cold enough for a beanie or headband, so I went with my favorite Beat the Blerch hat instead to keep the sun off my face, any mist out of my eyes, and provide just a little warmth to my noggin. My husband opted for humor with his ugly-Christmas-sweater-style long-sleeved tech shirt.

The weirdos who run together... stay together.
Shirts by INKnBURN
Seattle autumn weather varies greatly. Sometimes, it's 40°F and windy with torrential downpour; other times, it's sunny and 60+ degrees. Frequently, it's cool and humid, and a light rain comparable to a mist will fall at just the right time during a long run. Often, clouds will cover the sky but the temps will hang around the upper 50s. It's safe to say that one generally has to plan for temps between 40°F-60°F and cloudy with a chance of meatballs during this time of the year.

So, without further delay, here's a breakdown of what I like to wear while running in the various autumn weather:

  • Cloudy but little or no chance of rain and temps in the upper 40s through mid-50s:
    • Short-sleeved tech shirt layered over a merino wool activewear top; the wool top keeps body temperature regulated even in the rain but does not overheat;
    • Capri tights;
    • Hat to keep the sun and any unexpected rain off my face. 

Long-sleeved top by Smartwool
Short-sleeved top from Hood to Coast
Serpent Capris by INKnBURN
Hat from Beat the Blerch

  • OR... 
    • Lightweight running pullover with sleeves and thumbholes over racer-back tank;
    • Running skirt, shorts, or capris (if under 50°F);
    • Hat;
    • Nighttime safety gear: reflective vest with flashing LED lights and headlamp;

Top by Spalding
Skirt by INKnBURN
Reflective Vest by Amphipod
Headlamp by Black Diamond
Hat by Zero Limits

  • Probable light rain and/or wind and temps in the upper 40s through mid-50s:
    • Ultralight windproof and water-resistant running jacket;
    • Short-sleeve or lightweight long-sleeve tech top (under 50°F);
    • Capri tights;
    • Hat to shield rain from face.
Jacket by Saucony
Top and Capris by INKnBURN
Hat by Zero Limits

  • Rain, wind, and temps in upper 30s through 40s:
    • Highly water-resistant, windproof, lightweight, breathable active shell jacket;
    • Short or long-sleeved tech top or merino wool top (for temps below 40°F);
    • Full-length tights or thin fleece-lined activewear tights on cold, dark days;
    • Running gloves;
    • Headband to keep ears and forehead warm;
    • Hat to keep rain off of face and hide tears/grimacing. 

Windstopper Jacket by Gore
Lined Tights by Marc New York Performance
Top by INKnBURN
Hat from Beat the Blerch
Headband by RiptGear
Gloves by Mizuno
Of course, this list is not exhaustive and does not include other factors such as whether the wind feels cold or bearable, whether the humidity makes the air feel balmy or icy, or whether the sunlight happens to feel warm or like it's hiding behind a haze. It also does not include the fact that sometimes I go out wearing nothing but a short-sleeved top and a pair of capris. As far as socks are concerned, I purposefully left them out of each lineup because I generally wear whatever pair of thin running socks I pull out of the drawer first, saving my thicker ones for the sub-freezing winter days.

Finally, it is important to recognize that every runner is unique. Some people, like my husband, heat up quickly. Others are more rain-sensitive than I am. Some folks run mostly naked through blizzards (no joke!). But regardless of what kind of weather-sensitive runner you are, I do think the follow list is an important set of must-haves during these colder, darker, rainier days:

  • Reflective vest or other light-up gear to make you visible in the dark;
  • Headlamp or flashlight;
  • Breatheable waterproof or rain-resistant running jacket;
  • Lightweight windbreaker;
  • Long-sleeve running shirt for layering or wearing alone;
  • 3/4-length or full-length running tights;
  • Hat;
  • Gloves.
I am always excited to learn of gear that makes my colder weather runs more comfortable. Do you have any favorites that I missed?

Note: Any items I did not provide a link for can be found on Amazon if still available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment