Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Taking Breaks to the Great Outdoors

My grandmother once told me when my girls were toddlers that she believes "children should be outside as much as possible." It wasn't unsolicited advice, just part of a conversation we had while sitting on a bench watching the kids play with their cousins in my grandparent's large, rural ranch during a warm Oklahoma summer, but it was one of the more valuable parenting lessons I continue to learn.

My kids go to a great school that places a lot of focus on using technology in and outside of the classroom. While the treehugger in me loves the lack of paper used, I often find my girls zombie-ing out in front of a screen in their downtime if I'm not watching. Inevitably, being in front of the TV or computer when they should be playing or reading a book turns my sweet girls into grumpy turds in no time at all.

Using my grandmother's advice, one of my favorite things to do when my girls turn into grouchy monsters is to get them outside. If it's a weekend, I love to do an impromptu day or overnight trip that involves being outside somewhere far from a screen. In a matter of minutes, any gloomy mood fades away like magic, and it works every time.
So much happier outdoors!
San Juan de Fuca Spit, WA
During the winter months, I find it difficult to convince myself to take them outdoors when it's cold or rainy, but I've learned that the rain or chilly temps aren't a big deal as long as we have the proper clothing. Also, though the Seattle area is notoriously rainy, we have far more dry days than most of the nation probably realizes. For instance, it's the dead of winter right now and we've had blue skies for days. Today we have a prediction for rain, but not until this afternoon, and it's currently 42°F before 10:00 a.m. For winter, that's not bad at all.

Find the one-grumpy but now-happy tree gnomes.
This year, I've decided I want to focus on ensuring we get outside more often regardless of how cold it may be. And let's be honest... it's not just my girls who find themselves happier after spending time outside. We all feel more alive with a little fresh air. 

We're good about being outdoors, but I feel there is always room for improvement in this area, so we have decided that the vacations we take this year will be focused on places boasting outdoor activities. Lake Louise in Canada is at the top of this year's bucket list along with Iceland (hopefully). 

Do you have any favorite family-friendly outdoor trips that you're willing to share? I'd love some vacation recommendations. 

2 comments:

  1. We used to go to Lake Tahoe every summer as a family. It's absolutely beautiful in summer or winter.It would be a long trip from Seattle, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion! We haven't been there, so we will definitely need to add it to our bucket list.

      Delete