Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2017

A Decent Distance in a New Pair of Shoes

It took two weeks into 2017, but I finally felt well enough from my cold to do a double-digit mileage run yesterday. I am supposed to participate in a 17-mile trail run next weekend [insert *deer caught in headlights look*], so it was a relief that I managed 10 miles at a reasonable pace in sub-freezing temperatures without any issues except for a few aches in the achilles area today.

Though I often feel a minor amount of fatigue after a double-digit mile run, I'm fairly certain today's particular aches are likely a result of wearing my new Torins by Altra Shoes for the first time.
Lucy wants a new pair of shoes, too.
I mentioned a couple months ago that I attended a running workshop given by Golden Harper, founder and creator of Altra shoes. Curious to give them a try, I decided to pick up a pair this weekend. Overall, my first impression is definitely positive. I love the wide toe box, the cushion felt great mile after mile, and the shoes are lightweight so my legs never felt sluggish. Best of all, I didn't feel a single hot spot and didn't end up with any blisters.

I'm a firm believer that properly-fitted shoes should never result in blisters if you're wearing them for 13.1 or less miles. After that, your feet are fair game for torture. Remember: you did this to yourself. You were the one who decided to run an insane distance...*evil laughter*. I had a blister burst during my final Hood to Coast leg last year as I approached my 18th mile, and let's just say the tears were real.

As expected, the zero drop of the shoes definitely targeted different muscles, hence the mild stiffness I feel. Though I do agree that with proper running technique these shoes will allow one's feet to perform as they naturally would if we all ran barefoot, I have to say that my flexible-arched and arthritic dancer's feet felt a little strained at the end of my run. Supposedly, if I were to wear them for shorter distances and allow my feet to strengthen, this wouldn't be an issue.

Verdict? I'll definitely continue wearing them and am happy to add them to my normal shoe rotation. Currently, I switch off between Asics and ÓNs, and I have been looking for a good replacement for a pair of Adidas that I tried but am not in love with (comfortable and light, but not a wide enough toe box).

Wish me luck as I spend this week continuing to prepare for my 17-miler. I've been afraid of distances longer than a half marathon not because I'm afraid I won't be able to do it physically, but because I'm worried I'll grow bored and give up. I'm a little on the attention-deficit side, so I'm hoping the mountain scenery will keep me focused without too many I'm tired/scared of bears/bored/everything hurts and I'm dying moments.

One of these days, my goal is to complete a 50K. You heard it here first.

"The hills are alive... with the sound of music!"
Crane Pullover by INKnBURN.

1 comment: