Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

A Bit of Thug in my Kitchen

James got me this cookbook for Christmas, and I instantly busted up laughing while flipping through the pages amidst the frequent ooohhh I need that in my belly comments.


Though he admitted to buying it because it's hilarious and he hadn't looked at a single recipe, I was stoked to learn that every recipe in it is plant-based. That's right, folks - this cookbook is vegan! 

As I have mentioned before, I am not a vegan but I do try to eat like one most of the time. While I did spend a small chunk of my life trying out the vegan lifestyle, I learned that it's just not healthy for me to obsess over what I eat and wear. Instead, I stick to a primarily plant-based diet but don't sweat it if the pressure cooker calls for a hot Tuscan chicken stew on a cold day. It's all about moderation, peeps.

We decided to give our first thug recipe a try yesterday afternoon, so we whipped out a batch of their BBQ Bean Burritos with Grilled Peach Salsa. Except we cheated and bought a peach and mango salsa because peaches aren't in season and we were too lazy to consider firing up the grill in below-freezing temps for canned peaches. 


Ours looked more like this, but holy cow they were amazing!
It wasn't pretty... but dayummm it was good!
I tried to be clever by using foil to keep these bad boys in one clean piece while shoveling them into my face, but I gave up and just ended up allowing them to be good, messy burritos the way the universe intended them to be. 

If you're curious about the book but don't want to commit just yet, you can find the Thug Kitchen blog here. Even if you have no desire to adopt a plant-based diet, I do recommend giving at least one of their recipes a try - you won't be disappointed. 

1 comment: