Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2017

A Sobering Confession of Mental Health

January is a sobering month for me.

Eight years ago, right around today's date, my husband took me to a mental health crisis center after a few-month struggle with postpartum depression that took a turn toward psychosis. I felt nothing but blankness and anger, and my mind was preoccupied with suicidal thoughts and paranoia.

People who have never experienced such a horrible state of mind seldom understand. "Just snap out of it," I heard. "Just get a good night's sleep and you'll feel better in the morning." Nope. Try again. "She's just crazy," others said. The worst one? Oh, that's easy: "Mental illness is bullshit."

Let me set the record straight for anyone who doubts it: mental illness is a very real and devastating diagnosis. What followed my trip to the crisis center were three years of utter hell involving constant supervision under a psychiatrist, prescription medication, therapy, couples counseling, frequent mental breakdowns, a manic period that involved moving to a new state and buying a house I'd never seen (talk about a poor life decision, but don't judge, please, because unless you've been there, you cannot possibly understand the severity of mania), weight gain of almost 20 pounds (thanks, Lithium), and a complete loss of all sense of self.

The interventions got out of hand. I was prescribed medications that caused me to lose control of my hands while driving, that convinced me that taking a solo walk in the middle of the night in one of Seattle's most crime-ridden areas was a good idea, and that literally changed my personality. Looking at photos from that time of my life is painful; I am unrecognizable to myself. The wild look in my eyes, my expressions, the body language - none of it even resembles who I have always been.

The impact on my husband and two very young girls was stressful, to say the least. I went through the day-to-day motions ensuring that diapers were changed, games were played, mouths were fed, and then I'd lie in bed awake most nights wishing that a meteor would strike my house and land on me so that I wouldn't have to repeat the daily nightmare again and again. I often look back and feel a sense of massive relief that my girls were too young to remember the time that their mother was barely able to function.

Five years ago, I reached the ultimate turning point: die or choose to live. Somehow, from deep within the shrouds of severe depression, I found the will and desire to live and found a new therapist. Under my doctor's supervision, I spent six weeks weaning off all medication, and January was my first month sober from the overmedicated haze. The change was immediate. I lost nearly all the weight I'd gained in a month and a half. The depression and fuzziness lifted. I could see that the world was full of endless possibilities, and I was able to recognize just how much I loved being a mom to two beautiful, precious girls.

The last five years of my life has been a journey of health. I started a new career, we moved to a safe neighborhood, I began practicing yoga and running, picked up doing hip hop dance, focused on eating a healthy diet, learned how to make friends who were kind and supportive, and gathered the courage to continually work on becoming the wife and mom my husband and girls deserve.

I was ashamed of my mental health issues for years, but I am no longer afraid of what others might think. Hitting this very rock bottom that took half a decade to dig out of has made me the strongest and healthiest version of myself that I have ever been. I am a much better wife, mom, and friend because of my experiences, and I wouldn't take that life lesson away even if it meant surpassing the horrible pain through which I struggled.

Kudos to this guy who made the difficult decision to get me help eight years ago, held me when I tried pushing him away, and never stopped believing in me. Today I am well, and I could never have done it without his support and huge smile.

The couple that runs trails together wearing
 INKnBURN looks pretty spiffy!
I love this guy so much. 

4 comments:

  1. I love you. We've both come a long way from where we were. You never cease to amaze me with your strength and resilience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Tamra,,,,,you are an inspiration to all. Thank you for telling your powerful story, I love how everyone does have a story to share, it makes us all real, and connected. I know you will touch someone going through this at this very moment and help them....kuddos to your family for sticking up for you and getting you steered in the right direction.....you are one tough chick! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There have been so many times that I felt weak, but it's kind of incredible to look back and realize that overcoming these weaknesses is actually a huge sign of strength! And you're right - sharing our stories connects us and makes us real, and that's pretty powerful. :-)

      Delete