Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Happy International Women's Day!

I come from a very traditional family with the engineer dad and the stay-at-home mom. Both worked hard to raise their three kids, and both saw the value in saving money to send us to college. I am forever grateful to my parents for everything they did to ensure that my sister and I would have equal opportunities to those of our male counterparts in this world.

It is unfortunate that despite our education and experience levels, my sister and I have consistently fought through the professional world with less-than-equal pay, being called derogatory terms by men such as "sweetheart" on the job (true story), and dealt with a blind eye turned to our contributions while men tried to take credit for our work. 

I don't want that for my daughters, and I do everything I can to teach them by example to never accept anything less than equal respect and treatment. Although I do my best, there is always room for improvement. 

Happy International Women's Day to all the amazing women in my life.

I think I feed her too much spinach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment