Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2016

Running in the Frigid Temperatures

I have been living in the Seattle area for more than seven years, but the Arizona blood runs deep within my veins. I am a total weather wimp. If it's sunny, I'll be the one wearing a sweater in 70°F. If it's cloudy, I break out the long sleeves in anything under 78°F unless I'm being active.

Today, the weather is clear but brutal with a current temperature of 26°F and a daytime high prediction of not much better. While I realize that this is nowhere near as cold as other parts of the country, I am freezing and ready to hibernate in a warm cave near a toasty fire. On days like today, I'd much rather spend my exercise time in the hot yoga room, but it's not always possible.

Take last night, for instance. My 10-year-old daughter joins me at running group on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which really helps hold me accountable with my running schedule because I like setting a good example for her. It was cold and dark outside, but not too windy (thank goodness). I also couldn't complain too much because it wasn't snowing and we didn't run through too many icy patches.

I often talk to others about how easy it is to fall off the running wagon during the cold months, and I totally get it. I have found three tricks that keep me on track: 1) I sign up for races during the cold months that require training; 2) I often run with a group and bring my daughter with me, which is a double-motivator; and 3) I wear the appropriate gear. On days like these, it is easy to convince oneself to stay inside with a warm blanket and a hot cup of tea, but I am training for a hefty set of high-mileage races next year and cannot afford to allow myself to succumb to laziness. Instead, I dressed for the weather and found myself quite comfortable for the four miles during which I braved the cold.
Weather wimps be like, "35 Pounds Later!"
If you can't tell amidst the jumble of fluorescent pink, here's a breakdown of what I wore (minus my choice of underwear and sports bra... you're welcome):
  • Fleece-lined full-length running tights by Marc New York (found these at Costco)
  • Ultralight Smartwool long-sleeved base-layer top
  • Mid-weight long-sleeved pullover with thumbholes by INKnBURN
  • Windstopper jacket by Gore
  • Windstopper headband by Gore
  • Gloves by Head
  • Reflective vest by Amphipod
  • Headlamp by Black Diamond
  • Smartwool PhD running socks (not pictured)
If you tend to heat up quickly, I would suggest foregoing the Smartwool base-layer, or substitute it with a tech tank to keep your core warm. If I had been running in the same temperature in sunlight, or had I been doing a tempo run, I admit I would have been too warm. However, for a 9:30 pace in freezing temps with a slight breeze coming off of Lake Washington, I was comfortable and even found myself wishing I had brought a buff to cover my neck and mouth to help warm the frigid air before it hit my lungs for the first two miles.

I had my daughter dressed in lined leggings and a matching long-sleeved top, a short-sleeved tech shirt over the top, and a thin down vest. Of course, she had her dorky reflective gear on as well, and though I insisted that she wear a beanie on her noggin, she took it off at mile one and told me she was warm without it with a smirk on her face. 

Secretly, I'm a little worried her eyes might get permanently stuck facing the back of her head from all the times she rolls them at me. Whatever. At least she's warm, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment